This, was not easy.
Week 4 of The Great British Bake Off showed the contestants attempting caramel, therefore I also had to try and attempt caramel.
It took a few attempts, and admittedly the texture of the firm caramel is a bit odd, yet not un-pleasant.
If you skip the vege-gel then the caramel is just like a thick sauce, which is delicious and does work in the shortbread, it’s just a bit messy. Using the vege-gel gives the caramel and almost jelly like texture (sounds worse than it is!!) but it does set firm like non-vegan millionaire shortbread does.
This will be one I”ll definitely attempt again another time and edit this recipe, but this works pretty well!
MAKES 20cm x 20cm SQUARE TIN
1 Cup Plain Flour
1/4 Cup Vegan Butter
1/4 Vegetable Shortening
1/4 cup Caster Sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup Caster Sugar
3/4 cup Vegan Butter
1/4 Vegan Single Cream
1tsp Vanilla Extract
1/4 cup Vege-Gel (optional)
1 tsp salt
200g Vegan Chocolate
- Pre-Heat your oven to 160C
- Combine the flour, butter, shortening and sugar into a mixing bowl, then use your fingers to rub the flour and butter togther to make ‘big breadcrumbs’. Add the vanilla extract and stir to combine it through.
- Pour the crumbly mixture into a lined brownie tin and firmly press it down so it solidifies.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Once the shortbread is out of the oven, start the caramel.
- Begin by melting the caster sugar SLOWLY in a saucepan, stirring to ensure it doesn’t burn. When the sugar has turned into a thick brown liquid, add the butter and stir quickly, (it will explode a bit but that’s okay), as soon as the butter has melted, add the cream SLOWLY, stirring as you go.
- Add the vanilla and salt and stir to combine, then leave the caramel to boil for 1 minute. Then take it off the heat.
- If you’re using the vege-gel or another thickener (agar agar for example), follow the instructions on your packet, then add 1/4 cup of the mixture into the caramel and stir to combine.
- Pour your caramel over the shortbread and leave it to set for at least 1 hour.
- Melt your chocolate any way you prefer, then leave it to cool slightly before pouring it over the shortbread.
- Leave your millionaire shortbread to chill in the fridge/ freezer for around an hour before serving.