Oh yes, the ultimate cupcake fantasy has been completed.
I topped mine with salted caramel popcorn, the popcorn I popped myself and I topped it with a pre-made sauce I found in a health food store – find it here!
MAKES 18 CUPCAKES
200g self-raising flour
50g cacao powder (or cocoa powder!)
1 tsp baking powder
40g caster sugar
40g brown sugar
300ml chocolate soya milk (or any non-dairy milk will do!)
70ml vegetable oil
150g vegan butter
50g vegetable shortening
250g icing sugar
7 tbsp vegan nutella – (which you can buy in UK supermarkets, I used a brand from wholefoods but others are very readily available such as ...link)
30g cacao powder
50g popcorn kernels
1 heaped tbsp salted caramel sauce
- Pre heat oven to 180C.
- Line a muffin tray with cake cases
- Mix your dry ingredients in one bowl (flour, sugar, baking powder, cacao).
- Mix your wet ingredients in a separate bowl (oil and milk).
- Combine the wet and dry ingredients QUICKLY (lumps are okay!) and spoon equally into the cases.
- Bake for 12 minutes.
- While the cakes are baking, make the popcorn. Simply pour about a tablespoon of oil into a saucepan, pour the kernels in and shake the pan to cover them in the oil, then place a tightly sealed lid on the saucepan and gently heat until the kernels begin to pop. Once the popping slows down, take the pan off the heat until the popping stops. Then pour the sauce on and stir to coat all the kernels while they’re still hot.
- To make the icing: soften the shortening in a microwave (I did 20 seconds) and combine with the butter with an electric mixer or a determined arm. Add the icing sugar 50g at a time, then the cacao powder until the mixture is thoroughly combined. Then add the nutella and mix until the whole bowl is a nutella heaven.
- Decorate the cakes how you like, I piped a simple swirl (the extent of my icing abilities) and popped with some popcorn.