After the success of my actual bakewell tart, it seemed only logical to expand the bakewell universe into the next best thing – cupcakes.
The cake is super light and the icing is super rich and lovely – a definite success in my books.
I couldn’t get good pictures of these so do excuse them – promise they taste unreal.
Please excuse my attempt at icing, I’m still learning (evidently!)
MAKES 12 CUPCAKES
200g Self Raising Flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
6 tsp ground almonds
1/2 cup coconut sugar (substitute for brown if necessary)
1/2 cup caster sugar
2 tsp almond extract
1 tsp vanilla extract
200ml almond milk
4 tsp apple cider vinegar
1/2 vegetable oil
1 cup vegan butter
1 cup vegetable shortening
360g icing sugar
2 tbsp almond extract
- Pre heat your oven to 180C
- Combine the milk with the vinegar and set aside for 10 minutes.
- Combine all the dry ingredients (flour, sugar, baking powder, bicarbonate, ground almonds).
- Add the oil and extracts to the dry ingredients, then the milk mixture.
- Mix VERY QUICKLY, no more than 10 seconds, it’s okay to be lumpy!
- Quickly spoon into the cake cases, then bake for 15 minutes.
- Leave the cakes to cool down, make the icing while you wait.
- Using an electric mixer (or a vigorous hand), combine the butter and softened vegetable fat for between 30 seconds to a minute.
- Add the icing sugar bit by bit until it’s all combined.
- Add the almond extract and mix, then leave the icing in the fridge until you’re ready to ice the cake.
- Add a teaspoon of cherry jam in the centre of the cakes before the icing.
- Decorate as you wish!